Posted: 2/8/203 | February eighth, 2023
Copenhagen is a energetic, trendy, and enjoyable capital good for weekend getaways or as a base as you discover the area at giant.
It’s a laid-back metropolis with a top quality of dwelling, boasting charming rows of colourful homes, ingenious inexperienced areas, inviting canals, and bike lanes galore (there are 5 instances as many bikes as vehicles within the metropolis, and extra bikes than folks too).
The Danish capital could be very compact and made for strolling. And each neighborhood has its personal distinct taste and character. Because of this, it’s necessary to have an thought of which a part of city you’d wish to plant your self in whereas right here.
That can assist you resolve the place to remain in Copenhagen, listed below are the most effective neighborhoods – and why I like them – so you may select the realm that most accurately fits your journey model and finances.
However, earlier than I get to the specifics, listed below are some widespread questions I get requested about Copenhagen neighborhoods:
What’s the most effective neighborhood for first-time guests?
Indre By is among the most picturesque areas of city and the place a lot of the motion is. For those who’re new to the town, that is the most effective place to base your self.
What’s the most effective neighborhood for purchasing?
Frederiksberg is an upscale neighborhood with loads of boutique outlets and cafés the place you may sit again and watch the town go by.
What’s the most effective neighborhood for foodies?
Nørrebro is probably the most numerous neighborhood within the metropolis and is bursting with scrumptious delicacies, from low-cost road meals to Michelin-starred eateries.
What’s the most effective neighborhood for hipsters?
As soon as a run-down neighborhood, Vesterbro is now lined with stylish outlets, third-wave cafés, and funky galleries.
What’s the most effective neighborhood to really feel like an area?
Amagerbro is a largely residential neighborhood good for taking within the native tempo of life.
What’s the most effective neighborhood general?
Indre By has one thing for everybody and actually shouldn’t be missed!
With these questions now answered, here’s a extra particular breakdown of every neighborhood — with steered lodging for every, so that you’ll know precisely the place to remain in Copenhagen.
The place to Keep in Copenhagen for First-Time Guests: Indre By
Indre By, often known as Copenhagen Middle or downtown, might be the primary neighborhood most first-time guests discover after they got down to uncover this metropolis. In any case, it’s probably the most picturesque areas of city, full with rows of colourful, centuries-old homes on the harbor, medieval thoroughfares, a fortress, the principle artwork museum (Statens Museum for Kunst), Europe’s longest pedestrian purchasing road, and even the queen’s residence. Tivoli Gardens, the town’s small amusement park, can be positioned right here.
Indre By, actually “inside metropolis,” or as locals name it, Nyhavn, is probably the most handy place to remain for these eager to pack rather a lot in on their first go to, since all the principle sights are only a few steps away — together with Freetown Christiania, the town’s (in)well-known commune/micronation.
Finest Locations to Keep in Indre By:
- BUDGET: Bedwood Hostel – Housed in a properly preserved mid-18th-century warehouse, Bedwood has dorm-room beds with energy retailers and studying lamps. The hostel additionally has a cool widespread room the place you may drink beer, espresso, and tea, in addition to a courtyard with a stunning ambiance.
- MID-RANGE: Hotel Bethel – Located proper on the canal within the heart of Indre By, Bethel is made up of three historic buildings: the pink constructing, the yellow constructing, and the warehouse. Wherever they put you, you’re positive to have a cushty room with a comfy mattress. Some rooms have gorgeous views of the canal. The breakfast is tasty and filling too.
- LUXURY: The Socialist – This luxe property boasts giant rooms — a few of which have very good metropolis views — that get lots of pure gentle and have marble bogs (together with plush robes), USB retailers, and outsized armchairs.
The place to Keep in Copenhagen for Purchasing: Frederiksberg
For those who like a dose of sophistication together with your travels, e-book your self at a lodge or hostel in Frederiksberg, a neighborhood west of downtown. Upscale clothes boutiques, theaters, fancy espresso spots and eating places, and quiet cafés flank the district’s streets. You’ll additionally discover a quaint park, a diminutive fortress, and picturesque canals which can be good for strolling round when the solar is out.
Finest Locations to Keep in Frederiksberg:
- BUDGET: CityHub – Positioned simply over the border in Vesterbro, CityHub packs some perks for being a budget-friendly lodge. There’s a sauna, a self-service bar, and the dorms are made up of futuristic-looking (and comfy) pods.
- MID-RANGE: Scandic Falkoner – Newly renovated, the economic stylish Scandic Falkoner has a theater theme, referencing Frederiksberg’s long-standing fame for its appearing scene. All rooms have cozy king-sized beds, and the rooms on the upper flooring have gorgeous views of the town. The in-house bar and restaurant use solely Danish components.
- LUXURY: Hotel Sct. Thomas – Additionally close by in Vesterbro, the Lodge Sct. Thomas is probably the most luxurious lodge that’s near Frederiksberg, only a brief stroll away. It has a rooftop terrace with unimaginable metropolis views, and for those who e-book straight, the luscious breakfast buffet is complimentary. All rooms have desks, armchairs, AC, and worldwide TV channels.
The place to remain in Copenhagen for Foodies: Nørrebro
Northwest from the historic heart sits Nørrebro, house to the famed Assistens Cemetery, the place you may view the grave of creator Hans Christian Andersen (he wrote The Little Mermaid and The Ugly Duckling, amongst many different noteworthy tales). Nørrebro additionally occurs to be probably the most ethnically numerous district on the town: stroll down the road and also you’ll hear dozens of various languages.
It’s additionally house to a slew of eating places and cafés, from nice no-frills spots to Michelin-starred eateries. For those who’re unsure the place or what to eat, come to Nørrebro and also you’ll be spoiled with a wealthy number of nice eating places.
Finest Locations to Keep in Nørrebro
- BUDGET: Globalhagen Hostel – Prized for its consideration to environmental points, Globalhagen is a nonprofit/NGO property with a number of varieties of snug dorm rooms. The hostel additionally has a big screening room to look at TV and movies, and a full kitchen for company to make use of.
- MID-RANGE: Avenue Hotel – The glossy Avenue Lodge, positioned on the border of Nørrebro and Frederiksberg, affords a bountiful natural breakfast. It has rooms of assorted sizes, together with small singles and plus-sized doubles, all of which have cozy beds and high-quality bathtub merchandise. There’s additionally a wine glad hour for company within the early night.
- LUXURY: Hotel Nora – Just a few blocks south of the cemetery, Nora has 42 high-ceilinged rooms in an ornate Nineteenth-century constructing. All have fridges, electrical kettles for espresso and tea, and air con. Friends may also request Danish or worldwide newspapers within the morning.
The Finest Locations to Keep in Copenhagen for Hipsters: Vesterbro
There as soon as was a time when Vesterbro, positioned west of the historic heart and almost hugging the principle canal, was a no-go zone, its streets prowled by drug sellers. A few of these components are nonetheless there, however in the present day Vesterbro is among the hippest locations to hang around within the Danish capital. The streets are actually lined with cutting-edge artwork galleries, hipster bars, third-wave espresso outlets (emphasizing top quality), and glorious eating places.
There should not a ton of lodging choices in Vesterbro, however what’s there — and simply throughout the border in neighboring districts — is sweet for a number of nights.
Finest Locations to Keep in Vesterbro:
- BUDGET: YMCA Interpoint Hostel – This 54-bed hostel within the coronary heart of Vesterbro is a favourite summertime house for backpackers. It has each measurement dorm room possible, plus a big widespread kitchen and a energetic widespread room for hanging out and assembly fellow vacationers.
- MID-RANGE: Hotel Ottilia – A part of the previous Carlsberg brewery, Otilia has received a number of structure awards for its transformation into a stunning mid-range lodge. Its rooms have spherical home windows with good metropolis views, giant beds, espresso makers, and even exercise gear. For those who improve to a collection, the food and drinks choices are complimentary.
- LUXURY: Scandic Kødbyen – Glossy and funky, this new lodge in neighboring Kødbyen is barely a brief stroll to Vesterbro’s finest bars, eating places, and nightclubs. The spacious rooms have giant, thick, snug beds, and a few even have French balconies.
The place to Keep to Really feel like a Native: Amagerbro
Located to the south, Amagerbro is a sprawling neighborhood with a big residential part. It’s additionally on Amager Island, which as soon as had the moniker “Shit Island,” as a result of it was the place the place the town’s sewage was deposited.
As we speak, the sewage is gone, and the neighborhood is among the most sought-after locations to reside, because the streets are flanked by cool cafés, eating places serving elevated Danish fare, and distinctive outlets.
Finest Locations to Keep in Amagerbro:
- BUDGET: Hotel Amager – For a budget-friendly lodge, Amager has lots of good perks, together with a big breakfast buffet and a complimentary pint of beer while you examine in. The lodge additionally has a sports activities bar.
- MID-RANGE: CPH Studio Hotel – This 149-room property has a unprecedented and huge rooftop terrace, the right place to relax out after a day of exploring. Many of the rooms have kitchenettes too.
- LUXURY: Radisson Blu – Set not removed from the famed Christiania neighborhood, the Radisson Blu is a part of a series that’s dependable and comfy. Attempt to request a room on the higher flooring for scenic views. Rooms have tea and low makers, and the lodge has a big health heart. There’s additionally an Italian restaurant on the bottom ground.
Copenhagen has lots of issues to see — from Tivoli Gardens to the Nationwide Museum of Denmark to Christiansborg Palace to the choice and hippie-laden Christiania district. With an abundance of charming, lovely, and laid-back neighborhoods that showcase Danish tradition, Copenhagen is simple to get pleasure from, irrespective of through which you select to base your self.
Guide Your Journey: Logistical Ideas and Methods
Guide Your Flight
Discover a low-cost flight through the use of Skyscanner. It’s my favourite search engine as a result of it searches web sites and airways across the globe so that you at all times know no stone is being left unturned.
Guide Your Lodging
You’ll be able to e-book your hostel with Hostelworld. If you wish to keep someplace aside from a hostel, use Booking.com because it constantly returns the most affordable charges for guesthouses and accommodations.
Don’t Neglect Journey Insurance coverage
Journey insurance coverage will shield you in opposition to sickness, harm, theft, and cancellations. It’s complete safety in case something goes unsuitable. I by no means go on a visit with out it as I’ve had to make use of it many instances previously. My favourite firms that provide the most effective service and worth are:
Wish to journey without spending a dime?
Journey bank cards help you earn factors that may be redeemed without spending a dime flights and lodging. They’re what preserve me touring a lot for thus little. Take a look at my guide to picking the right card and my current favorites to get began and see the most recent finest offers.
Able to Guide Your Journey?
Take a look at my resource page for the most effective firms to make use of while you journey. I checklist all those I exploit once I journey. They’re the most effective at school and you’ll’t go unsuitable utilizing them in your journey.
Leave a Reply